Friday, August 31, 2007

The Origin of the Species' Tension

Tribe: a division of some other people. Division? Absolutely. Is it possible that hate, strife and human friction (not the good kind) began when people started dividing into tribes? I believe so. The division continues. More people put themselves into a box, a tribe, when they fall victim of a label. I will not be labeled. A label is a defining adjective. I don't have a definition. Stop labeling me. I am an individual and the only group I belong to is humanity. I started this blog on Friday and have since had several conversations with D. I have always been an individual. There is not really a time I blend on accident, or even on purpose. I am accepting of who I am and I stand by the choices I have made. But it's not good enough for me alone to be un-labeled. With labels come stereotypes. There's no arguments there. Yet, we perpetuate this attitude. We continue the cycle and even fall victim to our own labels that someone else gave us. So, E, when I answered A2's question about whether or not I wanted to be a lesbian, my answer was no, not because I don't like what I am doing, but because I don't fall into , nor want to be in, that box. It's too narrow. I am Jen. I am a human. I love. I do good where I can; I label and stereotype too, but with alot of conscious awareness, I can stop.

No comments: