Tuesday, January 06, 2009

That Sucked

We just had our first fight. She is very upset that her injury has put her out of the game for the year. She has known this since Thanksgiving, but it sinks in further every day. Today offered her another reminder that she can't play. She barely brushed on it. She didn't and doesn't tell me her feelings when they are bad. It's just inferred. She was really distant to me. Really distant. She kept making little remarks to me and using what I felt was a snide tone.

Finally, it got to me. I asked her if she was frustrated with me and if not, what was she frustrated with because it was very apparent. She told me to leave. That she couldn't believe that I would add my sensitivities to her bad day. I could have waited til tomorrow to tell her how I felt. Obviously I couldn't. I just don't like being talked to like that. I tried to rationalize with her, but it's good I left.

I'm home now. I really want to tell her that I know. I know what it's like to have the life you envisioned for yourself torn from your grasp. I am so frustrated with her for not sharing exactly how she is feeling. I've been there, I know what it's like. I maybe should have been more sensitive to how she is feeling because I do know.

Possibly even more frustrating is the little lesson I am catching onto. I was really angry with her for not sharing her feelings when I haven't once let on how fearful I am. She has no clue what goes on in my head. I don't tell her because I don't want to burden her. How can I be angry with her for something I do (or, really, don't do)?

No comments: